Monday, March 27, 2006

Wagon Hill Farm (Plein Air study)


Aaah Spring! I've been waiting all winter to finally get outdoors and do some Plein Air painting. The temps on the Seacoast of New Hampshire got up to around 52 degrees today, so I headed out to Wagon Hill Farm in Durham with my pochade.

It's a beautiful spot. Over 130 acres of rolling, golden-grassy hills with lakeside trails spotted with ancient willows and an orchard meadow. I set up a few hundred yards behind the farm on a slopey plain and painted as quickly as I could.

Part of the challenge with plein air painting is the moving sun and shadows. You can see in my painting that the triangle-like shadows on the farm have already disappeared by the time I completed the study. (About Two and a half hours)

"Wagon Hill Farm", 6x8 Oil on wood panel.

No comments: