Monday, September 04, 2006

Truro Saltboxes (Cape Cod Sketchbook)


Along route 1A in the Cape Cod town of Truro there are these rows of Saltbox cottages that line the Atlantic. Each one has a plaque on it with the name of a different flower. It's hard to drive by and not be charmed by these humble structures and the symmetry of the design they create on the landscape.

In my original sketch I included a clothesline with laundry blowing between the two shacks on the right of the composition. I loved the movement it added but the design of it created an awkward tangent with the horizon line of the ocean. I tried seagulls flying too but it didn't quite work. I'm going to live with it for a while and look at it with a fresh eye before I paint it.

I have gessoed a 10'x20" canvas for this painting and I'm looking forward to adding color to it soon.

No comments: