Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Art Institute of Chicago


The Art Institute of Chicago is at the top of my Art museum favorites list for sure. I went on Saturday and again on Sunday. It houses American Gothic by Grant Wood and Hoppers Nighthawks, not-to-mention an amazing French Impressionist collection including Seurats enormous pointilist piece, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte. The
  • Girodet exhibit
  • is currently showing and will be up until April 30. Girodet was a student of David in the 18th century. This is the same lineage that traces it's roots to the Ingbretson Studio Atelier in Manchester, New hampshire. It was cool to see Girodet's charcoal figure studies and see that they were executed in the same aproach that Alistar showed me in Manchester.

    I got to the museum an hour before it opened and did a quick study with my paintbox on my lap of one of the Lions at the entrance to the Art Institute. I photoshoped a few of the images here to make a vertical panorama of the experience.

    No comments: